G&T Podcast Notes
062 - The Running Man and Caligula
Patreon Air Date
iTunes Air Date
Travis’ Viewing Habits
- Mr Robot - Season 2 - Presto - starring Rami Malek and Christian Slater - Facing anxiety, depression and morphine addiction, Elliot Alderson can't really tell the difference between what's real and what's not. Still he wants to change the world, which he does through hacking.
- Green Room - available on DVD - Patrick Stewart and Anton Yelchin are part of a punk band trapped in a neo-nazi bar.
- Last Ship - Season 3 available on Stan - it is only ok. If you’ve invested through the first seasons then you might still enjoy it.
- iZombie - on Stan -
George’s Viewing Habits
- Braindead - Channel 11 - Created by Michelle and Robert King (The Good Wife) - A government employee discovers that the cause of the tensions between the two political parties is a race of extraterrestrial insects eating the brains of the politicians.
- Angry Birds - cinemas - starring Jason Sudeikis, Josh Gad and Danny McBride - Find out why the birds are so angry. When an island populated by happy, flightless birds is visited by mysterious green piggies, it's up to three unlikely outcasts - Red, Chuck and Bomb - to figure out what the pigs are up to.
- Stranger Things - Netflix - starring Winona Ryder and David Harbour and written by the Duffer Brothers (most notable previously for Wayward Pines season 1) - When a young boy disappears, his mother must confront terrifying forces in order to get him back.
Terrible Movie Challenge
Due to the success of The Secret Life of Pets, George had to watch the infamous Caligula.
The rise and fall of the notorious Roman Emperor Caligula, showing the violent methods that he employs to gain the throne, and the subsequent insanity of his reign - he gives his horse political office and humiliates and executes anyone who even slightly displeases him. He also sleeps with his sister, organises elaborate orgies and embarks on a fruitless invasion of Britain before meeting an appropriate end. There are various versions of the film, ranging from the heavily truncated 90-minute version to the legendary 160-minute hardcore version which leaves nothing to the imagination (though the hardcore scenes were inserted later and do not involve the main cast members).
This Week’s Review
- Starts with a Midsummer Nights Dream-esque romp in the forest with heavy sexual undertones
- So important of a movie that reminds you of the movie name twice in the opening credits
- Nudity… so much nudity.
- Curtained-off whipping stations on the way to the Emperor.
- Brest-feeding in the baths with tens of nude women surrounding the Emperor’s station.
- Peter O’Toole is insane.
- An embarrassing dance routine for Malcolm McDowell within 11 minutes.
- More nudity with boot laces tied around a guards genitals.
- Dildos everywhere. Mass orgy.
+ The ‘innocence’ of Caligula is quite well displayed by McDowell in the early, extended scene.
The Howling 2 (1985)
Rotten Tomatoes: 27%
IMdB score: 3.3/10
This week’s loser is George… again… God rest his zombie bones.
Stephen King Season
The Running Man (1987)
Starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Maria Conchita Alonso and Richard Dawson. Directed by Paul Michael Glaser - the original Det. Dave Starsky himself.
A wrongly convicted man must try to survive a public execution gauntlet staged as a game show.
Possibly the best quote:
Richards: I’ll be back!
Killian: … … Only in a re-run.
or later on…
Killian: Drop Dead!
Richards: I don’t do requests.
Next week’s movie will be Shawshank Redemption.
**Advanced notice that our next season will be John Carpenter movies.
Topic of Discussion
*Head over to friedbrainproductions.com for the full written review.